The Ultimate 2018 Speed and Slalom Sails
Unconditional performance for ultimate records
Immediately from the get go our Ultimate sail powered Karin Jaggi, the most coveted female windsurfer of all time, to a new world speed record during her 2015 campaign in the Luderitz Speed Canal. Further to this, in the same year, Patrik Diethelm smashed the previous world record of the men with 52.33kts. Since then the 2016 and 2017 Ultimate generations have made a name for themselves with multiple top rank finishes at a national and international level.
Now we set a new milestone with the 2018 Ultimate.
With mastermind Patrik Diethelm and a select group of international team riders at the R&D reigns, progress has been fast. Their brief, to improve speed and performance on all parts of the race course whilst optimising the handling of each sail in our range. This was to ensure each and every sail size is individually adapted to it’s own requirements.
The detailed result of such development on our 2018 sail:
- Broadening the mast sleeve in the middle area between top and boom ensures faster airflow past the sail for that extra speed boost.
- The sail is more upright and feels lighter; allowing faster dynamic handling and comes as an absolute plus on long exhausting competition days.
- New optimised profile for all sail sizes. The sail is slightly flatter in the middle section between the head and the boom, generating higher top speeds
- The overall profile depth below the boom stays the same whilst the profile at the front of the foot batten is slightly flatter. The reuslt: Optimised camber rotation.
- The leech in the top of the sail was tightened a bit. So the aerodynamics are more efficient and the acceleration in gusts better.
- In the middle section of the leech the Loose Leech was slightly strengthened, allowing the sail to breath a little more. As a result, the Loose Leech continues to run down to the clew and always gives perfect response through every gust for maximum top speed on all courses.
- Overall, the pressure point within the sail hasshifted down, improving control and handling.
- Fine adjustmentsto the batten set-up and the new profiling further enhance their effects on the sail and compliment other strategic modifications.
7 batten / 8 batten at 9.2 and 9.6 m²
Wider AeroSleeve luff sleeve
New light-weight Rip-Stop sleeve cloth
2 XL-ProCams and 2 L-ProCams
4 mil XPLY for an optimum ratio of stability and weight
extremely light-weight top
Slalom / speed
White / orange / red
|Extra wide AeroSleeve luff sleeve||Perfect aerodynamics|
|4 Roller cams||Thereof 2 XL-ProCams above and below the boom for stable pressure point and easy rotation.|
|All Batten are tubes||Best stiffness at low weight.|
|Narrow batten pockets made from X-PLY||Reduced weight. The batten tensioning is transmitted most effectively.|
|SBC – Short boom concept||Better handling and more control because of more loose leech.|
|Mast sleeve 180 gr. Rip-stop Polyester||Less strech in the sleeve. Absorbs minimal water. Excellent durability.|
|All Panels are made with 4 mil. X-ply||Maximum stability at low weight.|
|X-Ply Reinforcements||Maximum stability at low weight.|
|Window with 5 mil. Monofilm||Best view with minimum stretching that increases the pressure point stability.|
|Continuous luff made with 4 mil. X-Ply||No stretching in the luff, consistent pressure Point, maintains shape of years.|
|Sleeve opener||Enable the mast to be inserted with ease.|
|Extra large mast protector||Best protection for board and feet.|
|Boom cover on cross batten||Less wear on batten pocket when in contact with the boom.|
|Chafe protection at the foot||Less wear on the sail.|
|Pulley block with big wheels||Makes trimming the sail effortless.|
|Roll up strap||Elastic to secure the sail in place once it is rolled up.|
Technical changes reserved